Call for Proposals
This Group invites submissions on all subjects relating to Islam in the contemporary world. We are particularly interested in papers relevant to the following topics:
- Islam and colonial/postcolonial studies — for a possible cosponsored session with the Religion, Colonialism, and Postcolonialism Group
- Islam in Chica
- Islam in the visual and performing arts
- Islam and economy — moral and/or fiscal
- Islam in practice — pilgrimage, tourism, education, devotion, etc.
- Ethnography and anthropology of Islam
- Islam and media, social media, and/or virtual networks
- Muslim youth cultures
- Islam and material culture
- Institutionalizing Islamic studies at universities and research centers
- Negotiating religious diversity and pluralism
Audience-engaging panel formats are encouraged.
The mission of this Group is to provide a venue for discussing emerging problems and developments within Muslim societies and Islamic studies during the past two centuries, particularly in the late twentieth and early twenty-first.
Anonymity of Review Process
Proposals are anonymous to Chairs and steering committee members until after final acceptance/rejection.
Method of Submission