1450 Englewood Ave
Saint Paul, MN 55104
This is just a gentle reminder that the Upper Midwest Regional meeting is fast approaching! You can now register online.
April 5–6, 2013
Saint Paul, MN, USA
The officers of the Upper Midwest Region of the American Academy of Religion, the Society of Biblical Literature, and the American Schools of Oriental Research are pleased to announce the program for the annual regional meeting.
The AAR plenary speaker is Diana Eck, professor of comparative religion and Indian studies at Harvard University. The SBL plenary speaker is Laura S. Nasrallah, professor of New Testament and early Christianity at Harvard University, who will deliver a lecture entitled "On the Market (in Roman Corinth): Economics, Archaeology, and Theology in Biblical Studies."
Details of the program, access to the registration page, and hotel information, are available here.
We encourage you to bring your own mug/water bottle, as we move toward a "greener" meeting.
Please feel free to contact Regional Coordinator, Amy Marga at
, with questions.
There are three hotels near Luther Seminary where attendees can stay:
Best Western Bandana Square (off Energy Park Drive)
1010 Bandana Boulevard W
Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55108-5107
Reserve under "AAR/SBL Regional Meeting" to get the reduced rate. Rate and room availability are subject to change.
Public transportation is a one minute walk from hotel. Take Metro Transit Bus 3. The bus drives to the corner of Carter and Como Avenues, a five minute walk to Luther Seminary.
Days Inn, Roseville
2550 Cleveland Ave North
1-35 W and County Rd
Roseville, MN 55113
Reservation must be made as early as possible, or rate and room availability are subject to change.
Complimentary Continental Breakfast
No shuttle service
Radisson Hotel Roseville
2540 Cleveland Ave North
Roseville MN 55113
Reservations: (888) 201-1718 US Toll Free
Reserve under "AAR/SBL Regional Meeting" to get the reduced rate.
Complimentary Hot Buffet Breakfast at Axel's Restaurant ($11.00 + tax)
Complimentary shuttle service to and from Luther Seminary (must reserve ride time at front desk)
AAR/SBL participants are to call hotels directly and make their own reservations. Please note that room availability and price are subject to change.
- AAR or SBL Member: $40
- Visitor: $40
- Graduate Student: $10
- Undergraduate Student: $0
After April 2, 2013, all fees increase by $5, including the undergraduate fee.
Sections at the Regional Annual Meeting
- Asian/Asian American Theology and Religious Studies
- Martin Luther Study Group
- Multicultural Perspectives on Theology, Religion, and Biblical Interpretation
- Teaching the Bible and Religion
- Undergraduate Research
- Women, Religion, and Sacred Text
- Historical Perspectives on Religion
- New Religions
- Philosophy of Religion/Systematic Theology
- Religion and Ecology
- Religion and Science
- Religion, Art, and Culture
- Religion, Gender, and Sexuality
- Religions in North America
- World Religions
- Archaeology and Excavation Reports (sessions cosponsored by ASOR)
- Early Christianity
- Early Judaism and Judaic Studies
- New Testament
- Old Testament/Hebrew Bible
- Religion in the Ancient World
AAR/SBL Regional Mentoring Partnerships for Female Faculty
The regional organizations of the AAR and SBL are pleased to announce a pilot program to mentor female faculty. Based on feminist principles of cooperative work and shared experience, pairs of faculty will be matched in order to provide mutual support and strategies for career development.
To sign up for the program, click here.
Upper Midwest Regional Officers
American Academy of Religion:
- President: Bruce Forbes, Morningside College
- Vice-President: William Russell, Collegeville Institute
- Program Committee: Courtney Wilder, Midland University
- Regional Coordinator: Amy Marga, Luther Seminary,
Society of Biblical Literature:
- President: Karoline Lewis, Luther Seminary
- Vice-President: Philip Sellew, University of Minnesota
- Program Committee: David Penchansky, University of Saint Thomas
- Regional Coordinator: Jeannine Brown, Bethel Seminary
|Please note that the system for electronic submission of paper proposals is now closed.