Call for Proposals
This Group seeks paper or panel proposals that reflect on the study of religion, film, and visual culture in regards to:
- The religious and ethical value(s) of Hollywood (and other California-made) films
- GLBT cinema
- World cinema, especially Mediterranean cinema
- Clint Eastwood’s oeuvre
- Intercultural filmmaking (immigrant filmmakers in the United States)
- The production, consumption, and reception of film
- Methodology and definitions of “religion” and “culture”
- The bodily/sensory experience of film created through the use of elements such as sound, editing, and music
- Religion, film, and Rene Girard’s mimetic theory, exploring sacrificial and/or antisacrificial expressions of the mimetic mechanism in film, and/or looking at mimesis in terms of plot and/or film aesthetics (for a possible cosponsored session with the Colloquium on Violence and Religion)
We will also consider individual or panel proposals on other topics.
We offer a forum for theory and methodology of the visual for those interested in the serious interdisciplinary study of religion, film, and visual culture. There is no single way to study religion and the visual, and we expect scholars to provide new perspectives on the way we understand visual culture and to provide this understanding through traditional and emerging methodologies.
Anonymity of Review Process
Proposer names are visible to Chairs but anonymous to Steering Committee Members.
Grand View University
Method of Submission