Call for Proposals
This Section invites proposals for individual papers and preorganized panels on the following topics:
- Theory and method in religion and literature
- Religious influences on the arts of activism and social change
- Visual and performing arts and black theologies — cosponsored with the Black Theology Group
- The continuing influences of Paul Ricoeur’s Time and Narrative (Volumes 1–3, translated by Kathleen McLaughlin and David Pellauer, University of Chicago Press, 1990) — cosponsored with the the Ricoeur Group
- Religious themes and imagery of presidential campaigns
- Censorship in religion and the arts
- Multiculturalism and/or globalization in the arts, literature, and religion
- The religious implications for the arts in response to terrorism; e.g., 9/11, Mumbai, Oslo
- Chicago-based themes, such as Saul Bellow’s religiosity, James Elkins’s religious aesthetics, the Chicago Renaissance, and the religiosity of exhibits/exhibitionism at the 1893 Columbian Exposition and/or the 1893 World’s Parliament of Religions
The Section also welcomes proposals for individual papers and/or panel proposals on any topic in the arts, literature, and religion.
The Section also welcomes individual papers and/or panel proposals on any topic in the arts, literature, and religion.
Anonymity of Review Process
Proposals are anonymous to Chairs and steering committee members until after final acceptance/rejection.
Method of Submission